|COLONEL WILLIAM J. CARLE|
Col. Carle is the Commander, Air Force Weather Agency, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. He leads more than 1,510 active duty and civil service personnel at 18 locations around the world providing centralized weather products and services, including climatological and space weather support, to Air Force, Army, special operations, intelligence community and other Department of Defense activities. He executes a worldwide weather support mission that provides decision assistance to combat, reconnaissance, command and control, presidential support, treaty verification, and airlift missions directed by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, theater, and major command commanders.
Colonel Carle graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1990. He is a master meteorologist and a military parachutist. He previously commanded the 11th Operational Weather Squadron and served on the Air Staff, Joint Special Operations Command, Air Force Special Operations Command, and Pacific Air Forces Command staffs managing weather operations, requirements and resources. Additionally, Col Carle was the Air Force representative to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Assistant Federal Coordinator for Meteorology in Washington D.C. Furthermore, he planned and directed weather support and Special Operations Weather Team operations during Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Prior to his current assignment, Col Carle served as commander, 1st Weather Group, Air Force Weather Agency, Offutt AFB.
1990 Bachelor of Science, United States Air Force Academy
1991 Bachelor of Science, Meteorology, Texas A&M University
1995 Master of Science, Meteorology, Texas A&M University
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB
2002 Air Command & Staff College by correspondence
2003 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk
2007 Air War College by correspondence
2011 Master of Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks
1. December 1990 - December 1991, Student, Basic Meteorology Program, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
2. December 1991 - April 1993, OIC, Cadre Weather Team, Detachment 7, 1st Weather Group, Fort Ord, Calif.
3. April 1993 - August 1993, Commander, Detachment 7, 1st Weather Group, Fort Ord, Calif.
4. August 1993 - July 1995, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology Civilian Programs, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
5. July 1995 - July 1997, Typhoon Duty Officer, Joint Typhoon Warning Center, Nimitz Hill, Guam
6. July 1997 - July 2000, Operations Officer, Weather Division, Headquarters, Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
7. July 2000 - July 2003, Chief, Combat Weather Division, Joint Special Operations Command, Ft Bragg, N.C.
8. July 2003 - Aug 2005, Director of Operations, 10th Combat Weather Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
9. August 2005 - May 2006, Chief, Requirements Branch, Air Force Special Operations Forces, Headquarters, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, FL
10. June 2006 - June 2008, Commander, 11th Operational Weather Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
11. July 2008 - June 2010, Deputy Chief, Weather Resources and Programs Division, Directorate of Operations & Training, DCS, Operations, Plans & Requirements, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2010 - June 2011, Student, US Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
13. July 2011 - June 2012, Deputy for Federal Programs and Interagency Coordination, Directorate of Operations & Training, DCS, Operations, Plans & Requirements, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C., Washington, D.C.
14. June 2012 - June 2014, Commander, 1st Weather Group, Offutt AFB, Neb.
15. June 2014 - present, Commander, Air Force Weather Agency, Offutt AFB, Neb.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with two service stars
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant - May 30, 1990
First Lieutenant - May 30, 1992
Captain - May 30, 1994
Major - July 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel - July 1, 2006
Colonel - December 1, 2011
(Current as of June 2014)